Ranger in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ranger Municipal Airport
†††††In the spring of 1928, C.J. Moore and various aviation boosters determined to build an airport for Eastland County began searching for a suitable site. They purchased the 135-acre V.V. Cooper, Sr. tract, and officially dedicated the airport on Armistice Day, November 11, 1928. Called Haugland Airport in the 1930s, the airport was renamed Ranger Municipal Airport in September 1939 when the Ranger Flying Service, owned by Russell B. Miller, Hall Walker and O.G. Lanier opened a civilian pilot training program at the airport.
†††††Several noteworthy aviation events have
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13715.)
Location. 32° 27.345′ N, 98° 40.83′ W. Marker is in Ranger, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker can be reached from Oddie Street 0.1 miles south of Vespasian Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ranger TX 76470, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bankhead Highway (approx. one mile away); Site of First Oil Well Drilled in Eastland County (approx. one mile away); Well Number 19 (approx. one mile away); Roaring Ranger (approx. one mile away); Ranger Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Merriman Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles Merriman Baptist Church (approx. 2Ĺ miles away); Hargus Farm (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ranger.
Also see . . . Ranger Airfield History. From the airfield's official website. (Submitted on September 24, 2016.)
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
More. Search the internet for Ranger Municipal Airport.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.