Glendale in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Children's International Summer Village
June 3-30, 1951
Doris Twitchell Allen, Founder
Erastus S. Allen
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is June 3, 1951.
Location. 39° 16.317′ N, 84° 27.581′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is on East Sharon Avenue west of Greenville Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 237 East Sharon Avenue, Cincinnati OH 45246, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glendale (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Village of Glendale (about 400 feet away); Eckstein School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Cincinnati Hamilton Turnpike (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tucker's Station (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Eliza House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Maple Knoll Village (approx. 1.2 miles away); Taken for Granite? (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendale.
Also see . . . Profile: Doris Twitchell Allen. Feminist Voices website entry:
This first summer village, which brought together 55 sixth grade children from a variety of countries for one month, took place in Cincinnati in 1951. The children who attended summer villages were chosen on the basis of their intelligence, character, and their potential roles as future leaders within their countries. Over the course of the summer they were assessed with a variety of psychological tests to determine their prejudices both before and after their interactions with children from other countries. With chapters in more than 60 countries, Children’s International Summer Villages continues to operate today.... (Submitted on September 25, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 25, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.