Old Mission in Grand Traverse County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Old Mission Church
This building is a replica of the original mission church which was erected in 1839 by the Reverend Peter Dougherty, a Presbyterian missionary, who came here from Mackinaw to establish the first mission in this part of the country. Originally the building stood on the bayshore but later was moved to this site where it remained for many years. The bell which is now in the belfry is the original bell of the old church.
Mrs. Bertha Gilmore
a longtime resident of
Old Mission Peninsula,
donated the land for this replica
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 44° 57.318′ N, 85° 29.395′ W. Marker is in Old Mission, Michigan, in Grand Traverse County. Marker is at the intersection of Mission Road and Mission School Road, on the right when traveling north on Mission Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Old Mission MI 49673, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Mission House (about 600 feet away, measured Dougherty Mission House / Rushmore House and Inn (about 600 feet away); Hesler Log House (approx. 2½ miles away); The Hessler Log Home (approx. 2½ miles away); A Light at Old Mission (approx. 2½ miles away); Site of Lighthouse Privy (approx. 2½ miles away); Oil House (approx. 2½ miles away); Because of the Water... (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Mission.
Also see . . . Peninsula Township . Township website homepage (Submitted on January 17, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.