— Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails —
Captain Smart lowered his anchors, but they could not hold in the rocky bottom. The pounding seas ripped the hatch covers, and Pretoria started taking on water. The anchors finally took hold a mile and a half off Outer Island. By mid-afternoon, a big roller had ripped off a deck house, and the waves were tearing away at the deck. Captain
Today, the Pretoria lies in 55 feet of water off Outer Island. Marked by a Wisconsin Historical Society seasonal mooring buoy, the broken hull lies amid a large debris field. The donkey boiler, salvaged in the 1960s, was returned to the site in 2001. Pretoria's anchor chain is draped around Bayfield’s waterfront as ornamental fencing, and her anchors are on display at the Madeline Island Historical Museum.
Type: Wooden schooner-barge, three-masted
Built: 1900, Davidson Shipyard, West Bay City, Mich.
Sank: September 2, 1905
Length: 338’ Beam: 44’
Cargo: Iron ore
Depth of Wreckage: 55’
Lives lost: 5
Erected by Wisconsin Historical Society, University of Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Coastal Management Program, NOAA.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 2, 1905.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Turning Point in Place and Time (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial to Commercial Fishermen of Bayfield (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bayfield Historic Waterfront (approx. ¼ mile away); The Booth Cooperage (approx. ¼ mile away); Cultural Fire Returns to Stockton Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); Madeline Island (approx. 2.3 miles away); Early Vessels (approx. 2.7 miles away); La Pointe Indian Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bayfield.
Additional keywords. Shipwrecks
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 608 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 27, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.