Joseph W. Luter, III
Windsor Castle Park
Windsor Castle Park consists of 208 acres, part of a 1,450 acre parcel patented in 1637 by Arthur Smith, for whom the Town of Smithfield was named.
Mr. Luter’s vision made possible the acquisition of this historically significant property for public use. This vision is reflected in Windsor Castle Park where he constructed 3.9 miles of walking trails, kayak launch, dog park, fishing pier and pedestrian bridges, all of which he subsequently donated to the Town of Smithfield.
This generous gift by Joseph W. Luter, III, will be enjoyed by future generations. May 22, 2010.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liquid Maze (approx. 0.3 miles away); Smithfield (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ivy Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Law & Politics in 18th Century Isle of Wight (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Isle of Wight Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Isle of Wight County War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Bennett’s Plantation (approx. 2.6 miles away); Basse’s Choice (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.