The first white settlement in Cleveland Township was established on this site Nov. 1, 1855, and was called North Unity. The Shaldas, Krubners, and Svobodas, were among the early settlers. Agnes Krubner Svoboda, in whose memory this plaque is placed was born on this site April 14, 1857.
Erected April 14, 1957
Erected 1957 by Frank V. and Joseph W. Svoboda.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is April 14, 1857.
Location. 44° 55.308′ N, 85° 52.348′ W. Marker is near Maple City, Michigan, in Leelanau County. Marker is at the intersection of Harbor Highway (State Highway 22) and Bohemian Road (County Road 669), on the right when traveling west on Harbor Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Cleveland Twp Hall at 955 West Harbor Hwy, Maple City MI 49664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sleeping Bear Point Life Saving Station. (approx. 8 miles away); The Moving Dune (approx. 8.7 miles away); Sand and Ice
Also see . . . About Cleveland Township, Leelanau County MI. Repaired broken link; 05/20/2022 LPG. (Submitted on September 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.