Historic New York
In 1786 William Cooper came from New Jersey, founded Cooperstown, and opened the land to settlers. Lumber and farm products were sent down river on rafts in periods of high water to markets as distant as Harrisburg and Baltimore. The Albany and Susquehanna Railroad, later a part of the Delaware and Hudson line, opened in 1869 and spurred economic development. Railroad shops were located in Oneonta and creameries and factories for milk products served the dairy farmer in the area. Traffic on improved highways has succeeded that on rails
Erected 1963 by Education Department State of New York Department of Public Works.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Historic New York State, and the The Sullivan-Clinton Expedition Against the Iroquois Indians series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1779.
Location. 42° 29.818′ N, 74° 58.968′ W. Marker is in Milford, New York, in Otsego County. Marker is on New York State Route 992G. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milford NY 13807, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colliersville Dam (approx. half a mile away); Authentic Oneonta Trolley Tracks (approx. 5 miles away); Swart-Wilcox House (approx. 5.7 miles away); John Sleeper’s Log House (approx. 5.9 miles away); Laurens, NY War Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); Town of Maryland Civil War Memorial (approx. 8.7 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 9 miles away); Abner Adams (approx. 9.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York. This page has been viewed 548 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.