Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The First Presbyterian Church

 
 
The First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 2008
1. The First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized by the Rev. Washington McKnight, rector of Richmond Academy, in 1804. Met at first at site of St. Paul`s Church, incorporated by the Georgia General Assembly and given a lot on the common by Richmond Academy Trustees. Cornerstone of the present church laid July 4, 1809. Building dedicated May 17, 1812. Spire added in 1818. An outstanding pastor was the Rev. Joseph R. Wilson, 1858-1870, father of Woodrow Wilson.

December 4, 1861, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States was organized here.

In the Confederate War the church and grounds were used as part of a military hospital and temporary detention camp for prisoners of war.

The building was renovated in 1892. The Telfair building was added in 1881 for Sunday School. New Sunday school addition made in 1951.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-11.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNotable Buildings
The First Presbyterian Church Marker looking west on Telfair St. image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. The First Presbyterian Church Marker looking west on Telfair St.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #28 Woodrow Wilson, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is May 17, 1851.
 
Location. 33° 28.264′ N, 81° 57.856′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Telfair Street. Between 6th & 7th Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 646 Telfair Street, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The First Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); Boyhood Home of Woodrow Wilson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eve (about 400 feet away); Old Medical College (about 400 feet away); Joseph R. Lamar, Associate Justice (about 400 feet away); Medical College Building (about 500 feet away); Paul Fitzsimmons Eve (about 500 feet away); Emily Tubman Monument (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
Regarding The First Presbyterian Church. National Register Of Historic Places:
First Presbyterian Church of Augusta ** (added 1997 - - #97000100)
Also known as Christ Church
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Mills,
The First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. The First Presbyterian Church Marker
[Upper Plaque]:
Centennial
1804 - 1904
"Hitherto hath the Lord helped us."
May 15, 1904.
[Lower Plaque]:
Centennial
1804-2004
Looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith
July 4 2004
Robert
♦ Architectural Style: Romanesque
♦ Area of Significance: Social History, Architecture, Religion
♦ Period of Significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1800-1824
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦ Current Function: Religion
♦ Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
 
The First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud
4. The First Presbyterian Church Marker
of Augusta
Constructed in 1909
to the Glory of God
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 952 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on August 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9838

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 18, 2021