Friendswood in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fig Preserving Plant
Cecil Brown sold his plant to J.R. May in 1958, after 34 years in the fig business. Friendswood had one of the first fig preserving plants on the Gulf Coast, the J.C. Carpenter plant opened in 1910 near Clear Creek on present-day E. Castlewood and it had the last of the eighteen Gulf Coast plants, the J.R. May plant, which closed in 1968.
Erected 2012 by Friendswood Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 29° 31.808′ N, 95° 12.099′ W. Marker is in Friendswood, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 S Friendswood Dr, Friendswood TX 77546, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cecil and Frances Brown House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Business (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Friendswood Postal Service (about 700 feet away); Quaker Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest Structure Remaining (approx. 0.2 miles away); Friendswood (approx. ¼ mile away); First Home and First Family (approx. ¼ mile away); Friends Church Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friendswood.
More about this marker. The Fig Preserving Plant was torn down in 2016
Also see . . .
1. From The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on October 6, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. The History of Friendswood. (Submitted on October 6, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 279 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.