New Fire Station & Transit Terminal
In 1939 this new brick, two-story fire house was built. Fire Department historian B H Shipley, Jr and bride resided on the 2nd floor for seven years. It was also a trolley terminal. The HoCo Volunteer Fire Dept. operated here until 1997, when the new Montgomery Road station opened. This building was then sold and converted to commercial use.
Erected by Historic Ellicott City, Inc.
Location. 39° 16.115′ N, 76° 48.03′ W. Marker is in Ellicott City, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is on Main Street west of Court Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8390 Main Street, Ellicott City MD 21043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department (a few steps from this marker); Jonathan Ellicott Building (a few steps from this marker); Fire House Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); The National Road (within shouting distance of this marker); MaryLandscapes (within shouting distance
Also see . . .
1. Historic Ellicott City, Inc. (Submitted on October 6, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Third Ellicott City Firehouse. Maryland Historic Trust. “In 1938 Howard County purchased the vacant lot 52 on Main Street near Fels Lane for a new firehouse. The county received federal funding through the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works in 1938 for the new firehouse. It was designed by architect Hubert G. Jory, and Mancini Construction Co. of Baltimore was the low bidder, at $33,684. The modillion cornice and Flemish bond brickwork are Colonial Revival details, and the lantern on the roof is a close copy of the lantern on ‘Doughoregan Manor.’” (Submitted on December 23, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for New Fire Station & Transit Terminal.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.