Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Established in 1806
Beauregard Town founder Elias Toutant Beauregard was a retired military officer from New Orleans who became fascinated by neighborhood development. After buying a large parcel of land in Baton Rouge, Beauregard envisioned a community that would mimic the characteristics of a European city.
Beauregard Town was drawn in 1806 by Arsene LaCarriere LaTour , a French engineer, who was inspired by a popular European Baroque style known as the Grand Manner Plan. The design incorporated both beauty and functionality. Grand radial avenues connected town squares and parks to civic buildings. Only a handful of examples of Grand Manner Plan remain in North America, the most famous is Pierre Charles L'Enfant's 1791 design of Washington, DC.
Beauregard Town's early design included parks, residences, a convent, hospital, coliseum, cemetery and a cathedral. The original borders for the neighborhood were the Mississippi River and North, South and East Boulevards. Its east-west streets were named after countries or continents, and those that ran north-south were named after European nobility.
While drawn in 1806, Beauregard Town's houses
In the 1960s preservationists began to call attention to Beauregard Town's rare features. Many residents began cataloguing the significance of each neighborhood structure. In 1980 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Today, Beauregard Town, home to restored residences, significant architecture, and mixed use design, is one of Baton Rouge's most popular neighborhood.
Location. 30° 26.814′ N, 91° 11.082′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Royal Street and North Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on Royal Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baton Rouge LA 70802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Former Governor's Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alvin Batiste (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Site of the First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oliver Pollock Mestrovic Court (approx. 0.2 miles away); Louisiana's Old State Capitol (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Beauregard Town.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2016. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on October 9, 2016. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2016. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.