Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Morristown National Historical Park
Captain William Allen, Angell’s Rhode Island Regiment, January 4, 1780
On December 14, 1779, approximately 1100 Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts soldiers of General John Stark’s Brigade set up camp on this hillside. After two weeks of hard work in deep snow and freezing temperatures, the enlisted men moved into their new log huts. By Washington’s orders, officers remained in tents until the soldiers’ huts were completed. Some officers did not move into a hut until mid-February of 1780. For six months the soldiers endured shortages of food and clothing during the worst winter of the 18th century.
Washington’s army left Jockey Hollow in early June 1780 when British and German troops attacked, 15 miles east of Morristown, just beyond the hills on the horizon behind you. The soldiers of Stark’s Brigade played a key role defending a bridge over the Rahway River at the battle of Springfield on June 23, 1780.
General Stark, the victor of the battle of Bennington in 1777, commanded four regiments: Colonel Israel Angell’s (Rhode Island), Colonel Charles Webb’s (Connecticut), Colonel Henry Jackson’s (Massachusetts), and Colonel Henry Sherburne’s (Connecticut). Like many generals, General Stark went home on furlough for part of the winter.
1780 Drawing of Stark’s Brigade
An unknown soldier made this drawing of Stark’s Brigade showing the arrangement of the regiments and their huts. Twelve soldiers lived in each of the small huts in the first two rows. The third row of small huts housed Ensigns and Lieutenants. Captains, two to a hut, were higher up the hill above the enlisted men. Colonels, Majors, and staff officers lived in the larger huts at the top. Notice that these huts are labeled to show their occupants.
Erected 2016 by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 40° 45.921′ N, 74° 31.057′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker can be reached from Jockey Hollow Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in Morristown National Historical Park. It is accessible along the Mt. Kemble loop trail. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Remembering the Past: Stark’s Brigade Monument circa 1900 (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Stark’s Brigade (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Stark’s Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); On the line (within shouting distance of this marker); Mountain School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Guerin House (approx. ¾ mile away); The New York Brigade (approx. ¾ mile away); Mt. Kemble-Glen Alpin (approx. 0.8 miles away).
More about this marker. A full length portrait of General John Stark appears on the left side of the marker. The bottom right of the marker features the 1780 drawing of the hut city.
Also see . . . Morristown National Historical Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on October 14, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 327 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.