Bloomfield Township in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Van Every Gristmill
In 1837, Colonel Peter Van Every erected a flouring mill on the banks of the Franklin River. For a time, this mill was the only gristmill in Oakland County at which a farmer could sell wheat for cash money.
A potashery was erected in 1838 at the rear of this mill, but is not in evidence today.
The cider press currently in use is believed to have been moved from another mill located further downstream.
Colonel Van Every built a distillery in 1837 across the street from the mill, but it has since disappeared.
Although this mill was located outside the village, it has always been considered a part of Franklin because Colonel Van Every's home was located in the Village.
Erected by Franklin Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
Location. 42° 31.824′ N, 83° 18.307′ W. Marker is in Bloomfield Township, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Road and West 14 Mile RoadTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7450 Franklin Road, Bloomfield Hills MI 48301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin Village (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin Community Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kreger Farm Buildings (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert E. Cornillie's Vision (approx. 0.4 miles away); Franklin Village School (approx. half a mile away); Franklin Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fractional District School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Ward Eagle Home (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.