Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Before the city built a bridge
— Diverse Visions | One Neighborhood —
Before the city built a bridge over Rock Creek at P St., this area was a favorite fording place. In fact, it was here that the Baltimore Light Dragoons and French units led by Lafayette, Count Rochambeau and Duc De Lauzan crossed Rock Creek during the American Revolution. A low-level covered bridge crossed the creek from 1855 until 1871, when Georgetown and Washington jointly constructed a $43,000 metal truss bridge. A horse-drawn trolley of the Metropolitan Railroad Company ran west from Dupont Circle across the P St. Bridge into Georgetown. The present double arched masonry bridge was built in 1935 and renovated in 2004.
The elegant Dumbarton or "Buffalo Bridge" that carries Q St. over Rock Creek was built in 1914-15 to the designs of Glenn and Bedford Brown. The bridge is embellished with a series of masonry heads modeled on Sioux chief Kicking Bear as well as two large bronze buffalos (above) by sculptor Alexander Phimister Proctor (1860-1950)
Fire Fact | April 1, 1940
Box 345 sounded for fire at 2131 O St. NW. The four-alarm fire at an old stable converted to apartments killed three.
Artist | Jody Bergstresser
The artist's comments have been vandalized and are unreadable.
Fire Alarm Boxes such as this one (originally painted red) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Telegraphs transmitted the box number (top) to a fire alarm center. This system was used until the 1970s when the boxes were converted to a telephone system. By the 1990s, the callbox system had been replaced by the 911 system and was abandoned.
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the DC, Art on Call series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 38° 54.574′ N, 77° 2.803′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on 21st Street Northwest near P Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1426 21st Street Northwest, Washington DC 20036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The first houses south and west of Dupont Circle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dewi Saraswati (about 400 Indonesian Embassy / Walsh-McLean Mansion (about 400 feet away); James G. Blaine Mansion (about 500 feet away); Mahatma Gandhi Memorial (about 500 feet away); The Society of the Cincinnati (about 600 feet away); Lajos (Louis) Kossuth (about 600 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 385 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on October 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 2. submitted on November 30, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on October 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 4. submitted on August 2, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 5. submitted on November 20, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.