Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

San Miguel de Allende in Municipality of Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Izquinapan and the Founding of San Miguel de Allende

 
 
Izquinapan and the Founding of San Miguel de Allende Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
1. Izquinapan and the Founding of San Miguel de Allende Marker
Inscription.  
Izquinapan
A este lugar se trasladó
la población primitiva
en 1542 Su Fundador:
Fray Juan de Sn Miguel

English translation:
Izquinapan
The first primitive population was founded here in 1542
by Friar Juan de San Miguel

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 20° 54.537′ N, 100° 44.436′ W. Marker is in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Allende. Marker can be reached from Calle El Chorro. The marker is mounted to the front of the Casa de Cultura (Cultural Center) of San Miguel de Allende. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato 37700, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Chorro Neighborhood (here, next to this marker); Benito Juárez Park (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); José Mojica (about 210 meters away); Pedro Vargas (about 210 meters away); Tomás Delgado Diosdado (approx. 0.3 kilometers away);
An additional marker for a 1943 water system for San Miguel de Allende image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
2. An additional marker for a 1943 water system for San Miguel de Allende
It reads:
Las obras de abastecimiento de agua potable en esta población fueron construidas en cooperación por el gobierno del estado y el dpto. de salubridad publica habiendo sido inaguradas (sic) el dia 24 de septiembre de 1943 por el gobernador del estado, C. Enrique Fernandez Martinez.
Juan José Martínez (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Barracks of the Queen's Dragoons (approx. half a kilometer away); The House of Luis Malo (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Miguel de Allende.
 
Additional comments.
1. Additional CONACULTA markers at the Casa de Cultura
There are two additional markers from the Consejo Nacional para la Cultura (National Council for Culture, CONACULTA) at the location, one from both 2002 and 2011. These markers describe that the facilities were rehabilitated.
    — Submitted October 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.

2. Transcription and translation of the additional marker shown in photo #4.

El Chorro
Ubicación: Calle del Chorro No. , Centro Histórico.
Datos Arquitectónicos: El inmueble consta de dos crujías; una con portal, balaustrada, friso y cornisa labrados en cantera, tiene seis vanos originales con marcos de cantería; el Portal esta cubierto con viguería de concreto y ladrillo, la otra crujía presenta tres vanos con marcos y cornisa de cantería.
An additional marker for a 1959 water system for San Miguel de Allende image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
3. An additional marker for a 1959 water system for San Miguel de Allende
This additional marker is also along the Casa de Cultura. It reads:

Siendo Gobernador Constitutional del Estado el G. Cr. J. Jesus Rodriguez Gaona y Presidente Municipal el C. Lic. Leogino Zavala Vallejo, se realizo esta obra de agua potable para la Ciudad con la cooperación Federal, Estatal y Municipal. San Miguel de Allende, Gto. Año de 1959.-
Presenta una torre con portada eclética.

Época de Construcción: S. XIX


Fray Bernardo de Cossin tomó la iniciativa de buscar un mejor sitio en el cual sus enemigos no pudiesen atacar; después de constantes expediciones logró encontrar en las cercanías, un excelente asentamiento ya que sus condiciones geográficas lo hacían favorable para la edificación de la nueva misión. Este se localizaba en una ladera y contaba con un manantial de agua dulce, que hasta la fecha no se ha secado.

En el nuevo poblado, Fray Bernardo de Cossin edificó la capilla de la Santa Cruz. El nuevo poblado fue habitado por grupos indígenas de centro de México y, esta zona es conocida como El Chorro y gracias a su arquitectura es posible percatarse de la sencillez de los primeros pobladores.

Con los frecuentes ataques de los indígenas, en 1554 se creó un guarnición de soldados con el fin de vigilar el camino de la plata, ruta peligrosa entre México y Zacatecas; este camino se fue poblando paulatinamente por diferentes grupos indígenas así como por algunas familias españolas. Posteriormente se construyen dos sitios de importancia para los pobladores de la zona: Puerto de Nieto localizado al sureste de la ciudad y Cañas, al norte de esta.

En el año de 1555, el virrey Don Luis de Velasco creyó idóneo fundar un nuevo poblado para defender el camino que llevara a las tierras
An additional marker on the early history of San Miguel de Allende image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
4. An additional marker on the early history of San Miguel de Allende
See the additional comments for a transcription and translation of this marker.
de plata y oro, para lo cual algunas familias españolas migraron al nuevo asentamiento ubicado al norte de El Chorro. Entre las edificaciones religiosas construida en este nuevo asentamiento destacan el Templo de la Virgen de la Soledad, el templo de la Tercera Orden y el templo de San Rafael, (el cual en el año de 1564 fue sede curato que estableció Vasco de Quiroga)

Pie de dibujo: Lavaderos publicos

Municipio de San Miguel de Allende, Gto.
H. Ayuntamiento 2003-2006

English translation:
The Fountain (“El Chorro”)
Location: Calle del Chorro, Historical Center.
Architectural details: The property consists of two bays; one with a portal-type balustrade with friezes and cornices carved in stone. It has six openings made of original stonework; The portal is covered with concrete beams and brick. The other bay has three openings with frames and cornices of stonework. It has a tower with an eclectic entryway.
Construction period: 19th century

Friar Bernardo de Cossin took the initiative to find a better place in which enemies could not attack his initial settlement; after constant expeditions he managed to find this excellent location where geographical conditions were favorable for the construction of a new mission. This was located on a hillside and had a freshwater spring, which to date has not dried up.

In
Izquinapan and the Founding of San Miguel de Allende Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
5. Izquinapan and the Founding of San Miguel de Allende Marker
The marker can be seen between the fourth and fifth column from the left in front of the Casa de Cultura. To the right is a fountain which supposedly marks the location of the original spring here, which was the reason for founding the town in this location.
the new village, Fray Bernardo de Cossin built the Chapel of the Holy Cross. This new village was inhabited by indigenous groups of central Mexico and is known as El Chorro. Thanks to its architecture it is possible to understand the simplicity of the first settlers.

With frequent attacks by Indians in 1554, a garrison of soldiers was created to provide safety along the dangerous route between Mexico and Zacatecas; this road was gradually populated by different indigenous groups as well as some Spanish families. Later two sites of importance to the residents of the area are built: Puerto de Nieto located southeast of the city and Cañas, to the north.

In 1555, Viceroy Luis de Velasco believed it necessary to found a new town to defend the path leading to the lands of silver and gold, so some Spanish families migrated to the new settlement located north of El Chorro. Among the religious buildings built in this new settlement were the Temple of the Virgin of Solitude, the temple of the Third Order and the Temple of San Rafael (which in 1564 was the parish headquarters established by Vasco de Quiroga)

Caption: Public washing areas

Municipality of San Miguel de Allende.
The Honorable City Council 2003-2006
    — Submitted October 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2020