Canteen / Cantine
This building was constructed in about 1900 to served as a canteen where the off-duty soldier could make purchases from a limited stock, drink beer and relax.
The building was used as a canteen during summer training periods at Fort Rodd Hill during the 1930s. In 1933 there was one large front bar room with tables and benches and a smaller non-commissioned officers' room in the rear. The cellar had a reputation for keeping beer at a constant cool temperature during the summer. From 1943 to the 1950s, it was used for a variety of purposes including general storage, as married quarters and as an orderly room and offices.
Dans ce bâtiment construit vers les années 1900, les soldats pouvaient acheter quelques articles, boire de la bière et se détendre loqsqu’ils n’étaient pas de service.
Au cours des années 1930, le bâtiment servit de cantine pendant les camps d’entraînement qui eurent lieu l’été au fort Rodd Hill. En 1933, on y trouvait à l’avant un grand bar avec tables et bancs et, à l’arriére, une salle plus petite réservée aux sous-officiers.
[Photo caption reads]
The Canteen in 1944 / La cantine en 1944
Erected by Parks Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Forts or Castles • Industry & Commerce • War, World I • War, World II.
Location. 48° 25.923′ N, 123° 27.058′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker and building are on the grounds of Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites of Canada. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 603 Fort Rodd Hill Road, Victoria, British Columbia V9C 2W8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Team Work / Travail d'equipe (within shouting distance of this marker); Underground Magazine / Magasin souterrain (within shouting distance of this marker); Lower Battery / Batterie inférieure (within shouting distance of this marker); Repository / Manoeuvre du "repository" (within shouting distance of this marker); Second World War Temporary Buildings
Also see . . . Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites of Canada. (Submitted on October 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Additional keywords. commissaries
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 185 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.