Romulus in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This early Victorian farmhouse was built by Robert Anson Morris and Hiram G., his son, circa 1860, of select timbers from the North. Robert and Jane Phillips, his wife, came from New York state, and in 1854 purchased this 100 acres from George W. Moore. Robert was a wealthy landowner, charcoal maker, and abolitionist. He was fatally shot by highwaymen on the Chicago Road in 1866 while returning by team and wagon after selling wool in Detroit. His daughter, Mary Jane, married Peter C. Bird. Hiram (1842-1917), a scholar and musician, continued charcoal and brickmaking, fruit and berry farming on this place.
Hiram and his two wives, Lucia Peck (d. 1886) and Annie Downing, had nine children born in this house. They were: Mila, Jennie, Loy; Ray, LeVerne, Charles (killed in France in World War I), Pearl, Harold, and Willard. The Morris farm was sold when LeVerne moved to California in 1926. Harold regained the farm and raised fancy garden produce for 20 years, moving to Florida in 1952. The house and 30 acres was bought by Frederick W. and Helen Hay (dau. of Ray V. Morris) in 1980. House restoration
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 12.097′ N, 83° 24.249′ W. Marker is in Romulus, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on South Huron River Drive 0.6 miles south of Northline Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13925 South Huron River Drive, Romulus MI 48174, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Merrill-Morris House (within shouting distance of this marker); French Landing Dam and Powerhouse (approx. 2 miles away); Old Van Buren Township Hall (approx. 4˝ miles away); Wayne Industries (approx. 5˝ miles away); Old Wayne Village Hall (approx. 5.6 miles away); First Congregational Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Johnson's Tavern (approx. 5.7 miles away); Eloise Poorhouse/Hospital (approx. 6˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 263 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 18, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.