Mount Pleasant in Isabella County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Isabella County Court House was already over thirty years old…
The seed money to build the courthouse came in an unusual way. I.A. Fancher of Mt. Pleasant in the mid 1870's was a state senator. At about this time Clare County, which was administratively attached to Isabella County, was separated and formed its own county government. The State Auditor General then allocated state monies to the newly formed county. In the precess an error in allocation resulted in Isabella County being shorted $10,486.76. Fancher discovered the error and introduced a bill to have the rightful funds restored to Isabella County. The bill passed. Soon the Isabella County Board of Supervisors set aside this money for a new court house. The contract for the original courthouse structure was let for $13,275.05. The difference between the error receipts from the state and the contract bid was raised by taxation of $1,000 and citizen contributions of about $2,000.
The second floor contained the court room that was
All nostalgia often attributed to the courthouse square took place in the 95 years this building was in existence. Decoration Day Readings of Lincoln's Gettysburg address from the courthouse steps along with patriotic selections by the band were part of the scene. A band stand was in front of the courthouse just out of view in this card off Chippewa Street which then extended to Main Street. Park benches lined the shaded grounds where friends met and often waited while others shopped the stores over on Broadway. In the early days horses lined the south edge of the square leading to the name Jockey Alley a moniker still with us today.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1877.
Location. 43° 36.427′ N, 84° 46.568′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, in Isabella County. Marker is at the intersection of East Lincoln Street and North Main Street, on the right on East Lincoln Street. The marker is next to the old courthouse cupola in the Isabella County Courthouse parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Main Street, Mount Pleasant MI 48858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isabella County Courthouse Postcards (here, next to this marker); Isabella County Courthouse and Jail (here, next to this marker); Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Doughty House (about 600 feet away); Sacred Heart Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Indian Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Central Michigan University (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 19, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.