Mechanicsburg in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The tavern sold alcoholic beverages, for consumption in the public room or for take-out. In early America, alcohol was considered a necessity for good health. The tavern helped attract farmers and villagers to the area, and in 1828, the local village was incorporated as the Borough of Mechanicsburg.
George Frankenberger sold the tavern around 1810. Over the years, it became a clapboard covered home, with a third story and additions to the rear. While being demolished to build Frankeberger Place, the old log structure was uncovered. The owners donated it to the Mechanicsburg Museum Association, who moved it, then restored and furnished it.
Location. 40° 12.872′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 East Main Street, Mechanicsburg PA 17055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Simpson Ferry Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cumberland Valley Railroad (approx. ¼ mile away); Irving Female College (approx. ¼ mile away); Brig. Gen. Albert Gallatin Jenkins, C.S.A. (approx. 1.6 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.6 miles away); Silver Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Sporting Hill (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Frankeberger Tavern holds ghostly legend, Mechanicsburg history (The Sentinel, Oct. 20, 2013). If there’s a lesson to be learned from the tale of the ghostly drover, it’s this: never brag about having a wad of cash to patrons of a rustic roadside tavern.... (Submitted on October 19, 2016.)
2. Frankenberger Tavern, Mechanicsburg, Cumberland County (MyPennsylvania Blog, 2015). Includes numerous interior photos. (Submitted on October 19, 2016.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Frankenberger Tavern.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.