Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Newark United Methodist Church

 
 
Newark United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, July 29, 2008
1. Newark United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  By 1799 a small group of Methodists was organized and meeting in the homes of its members in the Newark area. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the congregation built the town's first church building on land that was provided by Isaac Tyson at Chapel and New Streets. On April 8, 1813, members gathered in the unfinished structure to receive the deed for the property and elect trustees for the newly established "Newark Chapel." By the 1840s the growing congregation was in need of a new home. Through the efforts of member John F. Williamson and others, the present site was purchased on July 12, 1851. A new church was then erected. The structure was destroyed by fire in 1861. It was subsequently rebuilt and formally reopened in January 1865. Over the years, continued growth has led to consideration of a move to a new location, but the congregation has chosen to remain and expand. A large education wing was completed in 1933, and in 1948 a steeple and new front entrance was added. A second annex was built in 1964. Renovations to modernize facilities and promote accessibility were completed in 1991. Newark United Methodist Church continues to
Newark United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, July 29, 2008
2. Newark United Methodist Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
serve the needs of the residents of Newark and its surrounding community - a parish that embraces parts of three states.
 
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-136.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1865.
 
Location. 39° 40.982′ N, 75° 45.043′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on E. Main Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 63 E Main Street, Newark DE 19711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oriental Lodge #12, I.O.O.F. (here, next to this marker); Albert Gallatin Lewis (within shouting distance of this marker); Elliott Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newark Academy (about 400 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); George Abram Harter (1853-1943) (about 500 feet away); Of Rural New Castle County (about 500 feet away); Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,759 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9897

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2021