Smith House & Farm
The Edward Smith House became a popular stopover for those travelers on the National Road, and in the 1850’s Smith realized the need for additional space. In 1860 his son Alexander completed an addition against the west wall of the original house, doubling its size to the current 16 rooms. When railroads became the transportation of choice, the Smith House ceased to function as an inn and eventually became the private
Erected 2013 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list.
Location. 39° 57.192′ N, 82° 5.673′ W. Marker is near Zanesville, Ohio, in Muskingum County. Marker is on West Pike (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5255 West Pike, Zanesville OH 43701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Headley Inn (here, next to this marker); Nelson T. Gant House (approx. 3.4 miles away); a different marker also named Nelson T. Gant House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Y-Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away); Zane Grey (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker Y-Bridge (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Y-Bridge (approx. 4.4 miles away); Muskingum County Medal of Honor Memorial (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zanesville.
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 20, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.