Downtown in Northwest Washington in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Church of the Ascension and St. Agnes
has been designated
A National Landmark
The National Register of Historic Places
under the provisions of
the Historic Act of August 1, 1935.
This site possesses
historic architectural significance.
National Park Service
The United States Department of the Interior
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 1, 1935.
Location. 38° 54.262′ N, 77° 1.729′ W. Marker is in Northwest Washington in Washington, District of Columbia. It is in Downtown. Marker is on Massachusetts Avenue Northwest west of 12th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1217 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest, Washington DC 20005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Messer Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edmund Burke (about 400 feet away); The Leonard "Bud" Doggett HouseMorrison-Clark Inn (about 600 feet away); Franklin Square (about 800 feet away); The First Wireless Telephone Message (about 800 feet away); Asbury United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Major General George H. Thomas (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northwest Washington.
Also see . . . The Church of the Ascension and St. Agnes. The Church of the Ascension and Saint Agnes is an Episcopal church building located at 1215 Massachusetts Avenue in Northwest Washington, D.C. The current structure built in 1874 as the Church of the Ascension was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. In the late 1940s, the Church of the Ascension merged with the nearby St. Agnes Episcopal Church and adopted its present name, under which it has continued as an active parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Washington. (Submitted on October 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.