Moreauville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church
The first church for Catholics in the Moreauville area along Bayou des Glaises was built in 1858 and known as St. Hyacinthe's Mission Chapel that was administered by St. Paul's Church, Mansura. Widow Aimee Joffrion Boyer donated the property on April 9, 1858. The first priest of the mission chapel in 1858 was Rev. Thomas Rebours who would become first pastor of the Moreauville Church in 1860.
On February 2, 1860 Bishop Auguste Martin of Natchitoches elevated St. Hyacinthe's as an independent parish. After some twenty years the church developed structural problems and was replaced by the second church by 1882 under the direction of Rev. Paul E. Simon. At the time the name of the church was changed to Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church.
The fifteen year old church burned to the ground on Easter Sunday, April 22, 1897 due to unattended burning candles. Rev. Constantine Brahic completed the third church in 1898. All three churches were of wood and similar design. Shortly thereafter, he petitioned the Daughters of the Cross to establish the first parochial school known as St. Francis de Sales that opened in 1899 and existed until
Tragedy struck on Christmas Day 1908 with lightning burning the third church, rectory, school, and convent. A decision was then made to build the fourth church of brick under the guidance of Rev. Regis Gimbert. The architectural style is Romanesque and the architect was Theodore Brune. The incomplete shell of the church was in use by the end of 1910. It was not until 1934 that the front facade was completed by Rev. Henri Jacquemain who personally crafted the magnificent altars.
Msgr. Stanley DeKeuwer redecorated the sanctuary in 1944. He also established Sacred Heart School in 1948 staffed by the Daughters of the Cross. The Order of Our Lady of Sorrows has staffed the school since 1963.
In 1960-61 Msgr. John Timmermans undertook a complete renovation of the church and installed the present marble altars. By 2004 the church was in need of renovation which was directed by Rev. George Krosfield.
Anniversary celebrations observed to commemorate special occasions remembering Sacred Heart's long history: (1)1960-61, 100th, Msgr. John Timmermans; (2) 1995, 135th, Rev. Joseph Montalbano; and (3) 2010, 150th, Rev. Marc Noel.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 2.236′ N, 91° 58.62′ W. Marker is in MoreauvilleTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9986 Bayou Des Glaises Street, Moreauville LA 71355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. For God and Country (within shouting distance of this marker); Moreauville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of Mansura (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mansura (approx. 4.7 miles away); Desfossé House (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Historic Oaks of Cottonport (approx. 5½ miles away); Spring Bayou (approx. 6.1 miles away); Avoyelles Parish Vietnam Memorial (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moreauville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2016, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 321 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2016.