Lawrenceville in Lawrence Township in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John Moores Tavern
1804 1817
Erected by Lawrence Historic & Aesthetic Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 40° 17.928′ N, 74° 43.714′ W. Marker is in Lawrence Township, New Jersey, in Mercer County. It is in Lawrenceville. It is on Lawrenceville Road (Main Street) (U.S. 206) 0 miles Gordon Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2695 Lawrenceville Road, Lawrence Township NJ 08648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Central Jersey and in Greater Princeton. It is also in the American Northeast and in the Mid-Atlantic. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Netherland and also one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Lawrence House, 1840 (a few steps from this marker); First Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Maidenhead Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson Trolley Line (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Johnson Trolley Line (approx. Ό mile away); Arctic Parkway (approx. half a mile away); Lewisville Road (approx. Ύ mile away); a different marker also named Lewisville Road (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lawrence Township.
Also see . . . Lawrence Township History. Township website entry (Submitted on November 8, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Additional commentary.
1. 2695 Main Street - Cock and Bull Tavern
According to Lawrence Township's guide to its historical landmarks:
The first reference to this house as a tavern was in May 1789, when William Compton petitioned for a tavern license. He wrote that he had recently purchased a house in Maidenhead opposite the Presbyterian Church and, being encouraged by his neighbors and friends to keep a house of entertainment, solicited a license for the ensuing year. In 1804, John Moore applied for his first license at this location. This tavern was used for many years as a place to hold the annual township meetings. In 1816, a meeting was held here to petition for the townships name change from Maidenhead to Lawrence. Dr. Gosman, a minister of the Lawrenceville Presbyterian Church, is said to have spoken of visits to the tavern by some of his congregants as “the thirst after righteousness.” In the 1890s, Ed Conover kept his stage coach in a barn behind the tavern." Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor
— Submitted August 6, 2008.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,874 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

