Warrant Officers Married Quarters / Logement de l'adjudant
This building was constructed in 1897. It was built of brick to British Royal Engineer specifications and during its life it was subjected to several modifications.
Originally it was to accommodate a Master Gunner and his family, but a variety of personnel lived here:
— From 1899 to the Second World War it was occupied by non-commissioned officers in charge of the Fort Rodd Hill detachment.
— During the Second World War it served as an officers mess.
— From 1945 to 1948 it was again used as a married quarter and was occupied by senior non-commissioned officers and Master Gunners of the Esquimalt garrison and their families.
For the many officers and families who lived here, there was the advantage of subsidised accomodation [sic], regular ration supply and country living. Two children were born here.
Construit en 1897 selon les spécifications du service du génie royal britannique, ce bâtiment de briques subit plusieurs rénovations au fil des ans.
— de 1899 jusqu'au début de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, des sous-officers chargés du détachement du fort Rodd Hill y ont résidé;
— pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, il servit de mess des officiers;
— du 1945 à 1948, il servit a nouveau de logement familial pour les sous-officiers supérieurs et les maîtres-canonniers de la garnison d'Esquimalt et leurs familles.
Les nombreux officiers qui ont vécu ici avec leurs familles ont pu profiter d'un logement subventionné, de provisions régulières et de la vie à la campagne. Deux enfants y sont nés.
[Photo captions read]
The Buxton family at Fort Rodd Hill about 1927
La famille Buxton au fort Rodd Hill, vers 1927
On the grounds of the Warrant Officer quarters, First World War
Sur le terrain du logement de l'adjudant, Première Guerre mondiale
Erected by Parks Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, World I • War, World II.
Location. 48° 25.953′ N, 123° 27.129′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker and building are on the grounds of Fort
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1942 Willys Jeep / Jeep Willys de 1942 (within shouting distance of this marker); Officer's Quarters / Logements des officiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Second World War Temporary Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Heavy Metal and Drugs-in 1912? / La machinerie lourde en 1912... (within shouting distance of this marker); Canteen / Cantine (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Upper Battery / Batterie supérieure (about 120 meters away); The Guardhouse / Corps de garde (about 120 meters away); Lower Battery / Batterie inférieure (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Also see . . . Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites of Canada. (Submitted on October 30, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 189 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 31, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.