New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes
St. Peter's College, a Catholic boys' school, opened on September 9, 1918, and educated young men in grades 1-12. The first commencement was held on June 20, 1922. Inaugural faculty members were Brother A. Arsenius (principal), Brother A. Xavier, Brother A. Louis, Brother Anselm, and Brother Gustavus. In 1941 this Grotto was built through the efforts of Brother August, FSC, Mrs. Yvonne Patout, and Mr. Eugene Guillot. The only remaining structure from St. Peter's College, the Grotto includes the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes donated in memory of François Dencausse and the statue of Saint Bernadette in memory of Antoine Ackal. This site commemorates the apparitions of Our Lady in Lourdes, France, in 1858.
Donated in Loving memory of their parents by
Erected 2012 by Iberia Cultural Resources Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 0.187′ N, 91° 48.834′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 182) near Civic Center Circle, on the right when traveling north. Located across Civic Center Circle from Iberia Main Branch Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 445 East Main Street, New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Peter's College (within shouting distance of this marker); The Original New Iberia Fire Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); New Iberia (within shouting distance of this marker); Becoming New Iberia (within shouting distance of this marker); Félicité (within shouting distance of this marker); Frédéric Henri Duperier (within shouting distance of this marker); The Weeks' Grove (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shadows-On-The Teche (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
More about this marker. One of twenty-one trilingual historical markers (Spanish, French and English) located throughout New Iberia.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2016, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 6, 2016.