Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Wedge

 
 
The Wedge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, August 3, 2008
1. The Wedge Marker
Inscription.  The wedge-shape tract, west of the Maryland and Delaware curve, consists of approximately 800 acres of land. For more than a century, the property was claimed by Pennsylvania but governed by Delaware. In 1889, a joint committee appointed from both states awarded it to Delaware. This decision was ratified by Pennsylvania in 1897, by Delaware in 1921, and by the Congress of the United States in 1921. (Marker Number NC-36.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable PlacesPolitical Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 39° 43.079′ N, 75° 47.086′ W. Marker is near Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on New London Road Rt. 896 north of Hopkins Bridge Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Chambers House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dorothy P. Miller: Champion of Preservation (approx. 1.1 miles away); Head of Christiana Presbyterian Church
The Wedge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, April 25, 2013
2. The Wedge Marker
New Wedge marker - Note the location of the date 1889 on the old marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.8 miles away); Minguannan Indian Town (approx. 2 miles away in Pennsylvania); New London Avenue School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Newark's New London Community (approx. 2½ miles away); Mt. Zion Union American Methodist Episcopal (UAME) Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); St. John African Methodist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Also see . . .  The Wedge - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on August 5, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
The Wedge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, August 3, 2008
3. The Wedge
The Wedge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, April 25, 2013
4. The Wedge Marker
New Wedge marker roadside
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,498 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 5, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2. submitted on July 13, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on August 5, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on July 13, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9961

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 1, 2022