Genoa in Douglas County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
1864 - 1964
Thousands of immigrants moved over the old road skirting the west bank of the Carson River as they prepared to cross the Sierra, feeding their livestock on grass cut along the river. At Genoa; at Mottsville, settled in 1852; and at Sheridan, settled by Moses Job about '54; emigrants stopped to enjoy produce of the region's first gardens. Pony Express riders used this route in 1860, switching a year later to the shorter Daggett Trail, now Kingsbury Grade.
Erected 1964 by State of Nevada Historic Preservation Office. (Marker Number 12.)
Location. 38° 59.765′ N, 119° 46.799′ W. Marker is in Genoa, Nevada, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 395 and Genoa Lane, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 395. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Genoa NV 89411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Coventry Cross Episcopal Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Douglas County Courthouse (approx. 2.9 miles away); Minden Flour Milling Company (approx. 3 miles away); M. E. Fay House (approx. 3 miles away); Henry Beck House (approx. 3 miles away); John Dangberg House (approx. 3 miles away); Grace Melissa Dangberg (approx. 3 miles away); A. F. Neidt House (approx. 3 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Nevada's Birthplace.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2016, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2016, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.