Melrose in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The region south of Santa Fe Lake was not settled until after the Seminole War in 1842, although it was on the Spanish mission trail from St. Augustine from about 1600 to 1763 and, during the English (1763-1784) and second Spanish (1784-1821) periods, on the overland route to Pensacola. Florida's first Federal highway, the 1826 Bellamy road, followed about the same path. Many of the early landowners came from South Carolina and Georgia. After the decade of Reconstruction following the Civil War, an influx of new families came to the region, many to engage in planting orange groves, a few of which had been started in the 1850's. Because the route of the Florida Railroad, completed in 1861 and reorganized after the War, passed west of the region, the Santa Fe Canal Company was chartered in March of 1877 to open a waterway from the railroad in Waldo through Lake Alto to Santa Fe Lake. In May of 1877 Alexander Goodson, Isaac Weston, and Meredith Granger, platted a 30-block town site south of the little bay on the southeast side of Santa Fe Lake. The old Bellamy Road was the main east-west axis, with Centre Street, straddling
Erected 1990 by The Alachua County Historical
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1877.
Location. 29° 42.577′ N, 82° 2.914′ W. Marker is in Melrose, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 26 and Grove Street, on the right when traveling east on State Road 26. Marker was relocated to Melrose Heritage Park in Putnam County. The original location was at 4 blocks west at 25501 FL-26 (29.70967, -82.05267) in Alachua County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 FL-26, Melrose FL 32666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Melrose World War II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Melrose World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Melrose Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Melrose United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Melrose Woman's Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Melrose High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Melrose Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Melrose Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melrose.
Regarding Melrose. Melrose Platted in 1877 and once called Banana, the town thrived with the opening of Sante Fe Canal, connecting the town with Waldo. Melrose
fine homes survived and today Melrose features scores of older restored homes and a historic district.
National Register of Historic Places:
Melrose Historic District (added 1990 - District - #89002305)
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Multiple
Architectural Style: Greek Revival, Late Victorian, Other
Area of Significance: Architecture, Exploration/Settlement
Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic
Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling, Specialty Store
Current Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,095 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on November 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on July 16, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.