Ninety Six in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Stockade Fort
Ninety Six National Historic Site
The British built this “stockade fort on the right” in 1781 on property owned by James Holmes, a Loyalist, to protect the garrison’s water supply.
An irregular fortification built around a barn and several out building, the stockade was surrounded by a ditch and abates, and was linked to the town by a communications trench.
When he arrived from August Georgia, in June 1781 Lt. Henry Lee assumed command of the Patriot attack against the Stockade Fort. In the final American assault on June 18, 1781, Lee’s men captured the fort but held it only until Greene ordered the attack ended.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1781.
Location. 34° 8.682′ N, 82° 1.392′ W. Marker is in Ninety Six, South Carolina, in Greenwood County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of State Highway 248 and Louden Road, on the right when traveling north. The Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ninety Six SC 29666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Light Horse Harry" Lee Takes the Stockade Fort (a few steps from this marker); Sharpshooter (within shouting distance of this marker); Militiamen (within shouting distance of this marker); First Blood Shed for Liberty (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monument to James Birmingham (about 400 feet away); James Birmingham (about 400 feet away); Ninety Six National Historic Site (about 400 feet away); The Lost Town of Cambridge (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ninety Six.
Also see . . . Ninety Six National Historic Site. National Park Service (Submitted on November 18, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.