Walterboro in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1985 by The Colleton County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-9.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Law Enforcement. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
Location. 32° 54.221′ N, 80° 40.039′ W. Marker is in Walterboro, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is on North Jeffries Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 239 North Jeffries Boulevard, Walterboro SC 29488, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walterboro (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); Colleton County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Colleton County Veterans War Memorial Walterborough Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Walterborough Library Society (approx. half a mile away); Hickory Valley (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Hickory Valley (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walterboro.
Regarding Walterboro Jail. "This landmark structure resembles a miniature fortified castle. It has been used by Colleton County to house various offices since that time, most significantly the Colleton Museum and the Chamber of Commerce." Today it is a museum
1. The Old Colleton County Jail
is a stuccoed brick building built in 1855-56 by J. and B. Lucas of Charleston in the Gothic Revival style. The building is significant architecturally as a fine example of Gothic design in a cultural area where Gothic architecture is a rarity. Its architects, Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee, were well known in Charleston and throughout the state. They were in high demand at this time, with designs including courthouses, churches, college buildings,
— Submitted July 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,666 times since then and 78 times this year. Last updated on August 5, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on July 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.