New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Segura - Labourgeois Building
This building, constructed in the late 1880's, served as the easternmost terminus of The Great Fire of 1899. Although its windows were blown out and its second floor interior charred, the brick structure stopped the fire from spreading farther east. Originally known as the Segura Block, Dr. Paul A. Labourgeois, Sr., purchased the property in 1935, renovated the facade, and opened medical offices on the second floor. First floor retailers included The Sazerac Bar, J. Patout Burns Firestone Store, and Lagniappe Restaurant. After being purchased and renovated by developer Chris Jordan in 2006, the building was returned to its original use of commercial on the ground floor and residential above.
Alton Terry Jordan and Curtis Jordan, Sr.
Iberia Cultural Resources Association 2012
Erected 2012 by Iberia Cultural Resources Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 0.285′ N, 91° 49.038′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 185) south of Julia Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 East Main Street, New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Davis Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Bazus Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Murray Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dreyfus Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Evangeline Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); William G. "Bunk" Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); James Lee Burke (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
More about this marker. One of twenty-one trilingual historical markers (Spanish, French and English) located throughout New Iberia.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2016, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2016.