New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Iberia Courthouse Building
Iberia Parish, created in 1868, conducted the business of government in rented space until 1884 with the building of the first permanent courthouse at present day Bouligny Plaza on Main Street. With the help of Public Works Administration funds, Iberia Parish was able to dedicate its second court building on Armistice Day, 1941. The Art Deco structure was designed by noted Louisiana Architect A. Hays Town. A unique statue of justice dominates the front of the building. The Struggle of Man, a fresco executed by nationally known artist Conrad Albrizio, enhances the inside of the courtroom. This land, originally owned by civic leader Dr. Leonard Smith, was purchased by the Parish from the Howe Institute.
Donated by the Iberia Parish Government in honor of the citizens of Iberia Parish.
Erected 2012 by Iberia Cultural Resources Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list.
Location. 30° 0.257′ N, 91° 49.259′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is on South Iberia Street west of East Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 South Iberia Street, New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Howe Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Booker T. Washington's Historic Visit to Howe Institute / Howe Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter's Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eddie L. Dorsey, MD; Ima Pierson, DDS; Howard C. Scoggins, MD; Luins Williams, MD (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church Alley (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Gouguenheim Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Church Alley (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Great Fire (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
More about this marker. One of twenty-one trilingual historical markers (Spanish, French and English) located throughout New Iberia.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2016. This page has been viewed 464 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2016.