Silverton in Briscoe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Silverton
Under the leadership of W.S. Riddell, the First Baptist Church of Christ was organized on April 2, 1882, with sixteen charter members: J.H. & Sarah Askey, A.N. & Jane Askey, W.S. & Vici Riddell, Isaac H. & Sallie Watkins, A. Wright, J.A. & Lucy Northcutt, S.P. & Lee Huss, W.A.P. Matthews, and Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Stovall. By 1900 plans were made for the construction of a sanctuary and soon a one-room structure was built.
Throughout its history, this congregation has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, and missionary outreach programs. Continued growth in membership led to the acquisition of property and the construction of additional facilities over the years. A part of Silverton history for over a century, First Baptist Church continues to uphold
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1675.)
Location. 34° 28.362′ N, 101° 18.491′ W. Marker is in Silverton, Texas, in Briscoe County. Marker is at the intersection of Loretta Street and Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south on Loretta Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Loretta Street, Silverton TX 79257, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Methodist Church of Silverton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pleasant Lafayette Crawford House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Miner Crawford (approx. 0.3 miles away); Briscoe County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Briscoe County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Moten Vaughan (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Celtic Post Office (approx. 7.9 miles away); Archeological Sites at Mackenzie Reservoir and Tule Canyon (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silverton.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for First Baptist Church of Silverton.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.