Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
Immediately to the west stood Fort Berry, a redoubt constructed in 1863 at the north flank of the defenses of Alexandria, but also flanking the Columbia Turnpike and the Arlington Line constructed in 1861. It had a perimeter of 215 yards and emplacements for 10 guns.
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 17.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 51.307′ N, 77° 5.32′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Glebe Road (Virginia Route 120) and South Walter Reed Drive, on the right when traveling south on South Glebe Road. Touch for map. Marker is near South 17th Street. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mt. Zion Baptist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Travers Family Graveyard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Barnard Drew School (approx. half a mile away); Hunter's Crossroads (approx. half a mile away); Fort Richardson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Alcova (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Berry.
1. Fort Berry Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Named for Major General Hiram George Berry of the 4th Maine Infantry, killed at Chancellorsville, Virginia on May 2, 1863. The fort stood at the intersection of 16th and Monroe Streets. The officers quarters stood near 3225 17th Street. Between Forts Barnard and Richardson, Fort Berry served to fill a gap in the defenses north of Four-Mile Run. Several entrenchments and two batteries covered the ground south of Fort Berry extending to Fort Barnard.
Within the 215 yard
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2008. This page has been viewed 2,787 times since then and 138 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2008. 3. submitted on June 16, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.