Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg
The Headquarters Complex
"This house was within the Rebel lines. Occupying an elevated position from which the Federal lines could be seen with a field glass, and being at a safe distance from our guns, it was selected by General Lee and his staff as his headquarters. Here he lodged all night and took his meals."
—Professor Michael Jacobs, Pennsylvania College, 1864
Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee arrived here on the afternoon of July 1, 1863, just in time to see Confederate forces drive the Union army from the fields west of town. Because this site was located on high ground near the center of the new Confederate line, Lee's staff selected it for army headquarters. Lee's headquarters tent and the many tents of his staff were soon spread out in the fields around the house. Here, Lee made decisions that led to the Confederate assaults for the next two days and ultimately his retreat on the evening of July 4.
Fighting his largest battle, Lee was a busy man at Gettysburg. He spent a significant amount of time on horseback, riding around the battlefield. He performed certain headquarters functions in the Thompson house but he most likely slept and performed other tasks in his tent. While the best primary evidence places Lee's headquarters complex at or around the Thompson house, no verifiable account specifies the location
Erected 2016 by The Civil War Trust and Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 50.107′ N, 77° 14.702′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Chambersburg Pike (U.S. 30) west of Seminary Ridge, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Headquarters of the Army of Northern Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker); Highway Headquarters (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (within shouting distance of 95th New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. This marker is one of a group of 5 new wayside exhibit markers placed in October, 2016 after the demolition of the Quality Inn and the Appalachian Brewing Company (restaurant) that stood here on the site. The site has been restored to very nearly its 1863 appearance by the Civil War Trust.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2016, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 27, 2016, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on April 18, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3. submitted on February 23, 2017, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 27, 2016, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.