Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Quitaque in Briscoe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Resthaven Cemetery

 
 
Resthaven Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 15, 2016
1. Resthaven Cemetery Marker
Inscription. This burial ground has served Quitaque since the 1920s. Quitaque’s name may have come from Quitica Indians who came through this area on a 1683-84 expedition with Juan Mendoza and Juan Sabeata; it may mean “the land at the end of the trail.” In 1865, José Piedad Tafoya opened a trading post in the area. He was followed in 1877 by George Baker, who established the Lazy F Ranch, which he later sold to noted rancher Charles Goodnight. A decade later, Quitaque became a stage stop. In 1890, a general store opened and the next year, a post office was moved from the ranch to the store as residents began to settle in the newly platted town. By 1903, a Methodist church organized. The congregation’s building, constructed in 1908, also served other denominations.

Residents used other area graveyards to bury the deceased until 1922, when brothers Alvin and Edgar Howard donated ten acres for cemetery use. The first person interred in Resthaven Cemetery was Katie Daniel (d. 1922). Others interred here include Amos Persons, who organized First National Bank and was influential in bringing the Ft. Worth and Denver Railroad to Quitaque, and community leaders Orlin and O.R. Stark, father and son, who followed Persons as presidents of the bank and were civic leaders. A sandstone wall with spaced pilasters built from 1938-40 by the
Resthaven Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 15, 2016
2. Resthaven Cemetery Marker
Work Projects Administration (WPA) surrounds the property. Other features include grave slabs, curbing and religion iconography. Today, Resthaven Cemetery remains a record of early pioneers whose hard work and determination set the foundation for the Quitaque community.
Historic Texas Cemetery – 2009
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16498.)
 
Location. 34° 21.931′ N, 101° 1.474′ W. Marker is near Quitaque, Texas, in Briscoe County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 599 0.4 miles south of Texas Highway 86, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Quitaque TX 79255, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gasoline Cotton Gin (approx. 1.7 miles away); Bob Wills (approx. 7.3 miles away); Turkey High School (approx. 7.7 miles away); First Methodist Church of Turkey (approx. 7.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
Katie Daniel (1867 - 1922) image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 15, 2016
3. Katie Daniel (1867 - 1922)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 27, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement