Scottsboro in Jackson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Union Civil War Encampment in Scottsboro
In late December 1863, Union Maj. Gen. John A. Logan established his Fifteenth Army Corps headquarters in Scottsboro, Alabama. On January 11, 1864, by command of Gen. Logan, Brig. Gen. Hugh Ewing, commanding the Fourth Division, was ordered to guard the railroad and telegraph line from Scottsboro to Stevenson. Gen Ewing sent his First Brigade under the command of Col. Reuben Williams to Scottsboro, and it set up four separate regimental camps on either side of the Memphis and Charleston Railroad, adjacent to or within one block of the Scottsboro Depot. The regiments under Col. Williams’ command included some 3000 men of the 26th Illinois, the 70th Ohio, the 12th Indiana, and the 97th Indiana, as well as an Illinois artillery battery.
Erected 2013 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 40.507′ N, 86° 2.199′ W. Marker is in Scottsboro, Alabama, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Maple Avenue and North Houston Street, on the right when traveling east on East Maple Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scottsboro AL 35768, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scottsboro Railroad Depot (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Andrew Jackson (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert Thomas Scott (approx. ¼ mile away); Jackson County Courthouse And The Scottsboro Boys (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert E. Jones, Jr. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bellefonte Cemetery / Town of Bellefonte Town of Section (approx. 7.1 miles away); History of Langston (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsboro.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Union Civil War Encampment in Scottsboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 28, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of side 1 of marker • Can you help?