Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Miguel de Allende in Municipality of Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Remains of the Insurgents

 
 
The Remains of the Insurgents Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
1. The Remains of the Insurgents Marker
Inscription.
La tarde del 2 Sep de
1823, la autoridades civiles
y eclesiásticas recibieron una
urna, con los cráneos de los patriotas;
Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
* Don Ignacio Allende y Unzaga
* Don Juan Aldama Gonzalez y
* Don Mariano Jimenez
que habían sido exumados en el
panteón de San Sebastian, en Gto.
con motivo del 175 aniversario
de tan memorable acontecimiento
El H. Ayuntamiento 1998-2000
San Miguel de Allende, Gto.,
2 de Septiembre de 1998

English translation:
On the afternoon of September 2, 1823, civil and ecclesiastical
authorities received here an urn, with the skulls of the patriots;
Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
* Don Ignacio Allende y Unzaga
* Don Juan Aldama Gonzalez and
* Don Mariano Jimenez
who had been exhumed from the
cemetery of San Sebastian, Guanajuato
A tribute to the 175th anniversary of this memorable event
The Honorable City Council of 1998-2000
San Miguel de Allende, Gto., September 2, 1998

 
Erected 1998 by El Honorable Ayuntamiento de San Miguel de 1998-2000.
 
Location. 20° 54.877′ N, 100° 44.728′ W. Marker is in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Allende
The Remains of the Insurgents Marker and two additional markers image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
2. The Remains of the Insurgents Marker and two additional markers
The additional markers note the 2005 restoration of the temple's tower and a 2007 tribute to two benefactors of the temple. They read:

El gobierno de la República, el estado de
Guanajuato y el Ayuntamiento Municipal 2003-2006
mediante el programa Pueblos Mágicos
restauraron esta torre del campanario.
(31 de mayo al 15 de diciembre del 2004)
Templo de la Purísima Concepción
18 de agosto de 2005
450 aniversario de la Villa de San Miguel el Grande

In Memoriam
Beatriz Retana de Angulano
Nachita Solis de Perez Manzano
Benefactoras de las Concepcionistas
San Miguel de Allende, Gto. Diciembre 2007
Amigos de San Miguel
. Marker is on Calle Canal just from Calle Dr. Ignacio Hernández, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is mounted to the eastern tower of the Temple of the Most Pure Conception (Templo de la Purísima Concepción).
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Temple of the Most Pure Conception (within shouting distance of this marker); Carmen Masip Echazarreta (within shouting distance of this marker); The Francisco I. Madero Fountain (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); House of Juan Umarán (about 120 meters away); The Heroes' Bridge (about 120 meters away); Narciso María Loreto de la Canal (about 120 meters away); María del Refugio Aguilar y Torres (about 150 meters away); Armory of the Insurgents (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Miguel de Allende.
 
Regarding The Remains of the Insurgents. These insurgents that had started the Mexican War of Independence in 1810 were captured and executed in Chihuahua. As a warning to other potential revolutionaries, the Spanish authorities hung their heads on the corners of the Alhóndiga de Granaditas (Public Granary, now the Regional Museum) in Guanajuato. The Spanish were finally defeated in 1821, after eleven long years of civil war. The remains of the insurgents were taken from Guanajuato to Mexico City and they were placed in the Metropolitan
The Remains of the Insurgents Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
3. The Remains of the Insurgents Marker
The marker can be seen as the highest marker in a group of three markers, here mounted to the eastern tower of The Temple of the Most Pure Conception.
Cathedral there in 1823. Their remains were taken through many Mexican towns on the way to Mexico City.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionPatriots & PatriotismWars, Non-US
 
The Remains of the Insurgents Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, June 11, 2017
4. The Remains of the Insurgents Marker
The markers can be seen in this view in the distance on the lower part of the tower of the Temple of the Most Pure Conception.
Original dedication marker for the tower of the Temple of the Most Pure Conception image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 8, 2016
5. Original dedication marker for the tower of the Temple of the Most Pure Conception
This additional marker found higher up on the tower is from its original dedication. It indicates that construction began on October 6, 1841 and finished on March 12, 1843.

Se inició esta torre el dia 6 de octubre de 1841 y se concluyó el dia 12 de marso de 1843
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4. submitted on July 13, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   5. submitted on November 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement