Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Killingworth in Middlesex County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Killingworth

 
 
Killingworth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 28, 2016
1. Killingworth Marker
Inscription.
Killingworth
In 1663 the General Court in Hartford founded the plantation of Hammonasset, encompassing the present-day towns of Killingworth and Clinton. The Court named the town Kenilworth in 1667 after the birthplace in England of Edward Griswold, one of the first settlers. Uncas, sachem of the Mohegan Indians and his son Joshua relinquished their rights to the land in 1669. Settlement of the northern section began after 1700. Responding to a petition from the inhabitants of North Killingworth, known as the Farmers, the General Assembly in 1735 divided the town into two ecclesiastical societies and named the area of present-day Killingworth the North or Second Society. In 1738 the inhabitants of the Second Society founded a church with the Reverend William Seward as minister. In 1838 the Legislature separated the southern portion of the town by incorporating it as Clinton. Killingworth was largely farms and water powered mills. Today it is mainly residential.

( back )
First Settlers of the Second Society
Isaac Kelsey, Esquire
Deacon Joseph Wilcox
Deacon Josiah Hull
Deacon Daniel Buel
John Wilcox
Joseph Griswold
Nathaniel Parmelee
Ebenezer Hull
Samuel Stevens
Edward Rutty
Solomon Davis
Timothy Chittenden
Theophilus Redfield
Killingworth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 28, 2016
2. Killingworth Marker
( back )

Erected by the Town of Killingworth
the Killingworth Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1981

 
Erected 1981 by the Town of Killingworth, Killingworth Historical Society, Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 22.139′ N, 72° 33.903′ W. Marker is in Killingworth, Connecticut, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Higganum Road (Connecticut Route 81) 0.1 miles south of Wolf Hollow Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located next to Killingworth Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 323 Connecticut 81, Killingworth CT 06419, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Killingworth Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); PFC Jack H. Curry USMC (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester (approx. 6.4 miles away); Lee's Academy (approx. 6 miles away); Frederick W. Lee, Esq (approx. 6 miles away); Madison (approx. 6 miles away); Patriots of Madison (approx. 6 miles away); Monument to the Citizens of Madison (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Killingworth.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Killingworth, Connecticut.
Killingworth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 28, 2016
3. Killingworth Marker
(Submitted on December 2, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Killingworth, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 2, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement