Clinton in Middlesex County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Were Taught Near This Spot By
Rector Abraham Pierson
1701 to 1707
( back )
Viri Ingenio Doctrina Pietate Praediti
Qui, una enm A lils sui Similibus
Fundamenta Jecit Primi
Apud Connecticutenses Collegii
Cujus Primu Quoque Praeses Fuit
In memory of Abraham Pierson, a man of worth, learning, and piety, who, with others of like attributes, laid the foundation of the first Connecticut college, whose first president he also was.
( Inscription and translation as printed in the New York Times, September 27, 1891 )
Location. 41° 16.693′ N, 72° 31.396′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Connecticut, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Stre (U.S. 1) and Cemetery Road, on the left when traveling east on East Main Stre. Touch for map. Located in front of the First Church of Christ Congregational. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton CT 06413, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Field of Flags (here, next Clinton Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Clinton (within shouting distance of this marker); A Seafaring Town (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Morgan (about 700 feet away); Abraham Pierson (about 700 feet away); This Cannon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clinton Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
Also see . . . “The College Went to Him.” New York Times, September 27, 1891. (Submitted on December 3, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 196 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 3, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.