Tuskegee Institute in Macon County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
—Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site —
. . . I always make it a rule to read a chapter [in the Bible] or a portion of a chapter in the morning, before beginning the work of the day.
—Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery
The chapel, designed by Paul Rudolph and former Tuskegee Institute professors John Welch and Louis Fry, is known architecturally for its lack of right angles and its astonishing acoustics. Built in 1969, it replaced architect Robert R. Taylor's original chapel, built in 1896-98 with 1,200,000 bricks made and laid by Tuskegee students.
Religion has always played a major role in the life of the school. For many years students were required to attend daily vesper services and two Sunday services. In the chapel they also attended major cultural events, such as concerts by W. C. Handy, John Philip Sousa, and Duke Ellington and speeches by Mary McLeod Bethune, Martin Luther King, Jr., and four U.S. Presidents.
Top right: The present-day chapel contains
reproductions of the original chapel's
stained glass "Singing Windows" that
portray Negro spirituals.
Main photo: The original chapel, which stood on this
site, was the first building in the county
to have electric lights. It was struck by
lightning and destroyed by fire in 1957.
Erected by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior.
Location. 32° 25.833′ Touch for map. Located within Tuskegee University (formerly Tuskegee Institute). Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Booker T Washington Boulevard, Tuskegee Institute AL 36088, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lifting the Veil of Ignorance (within shouting distance of this marker); Booker T Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Tuskegee Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Carver (within shouting distance of this marker); Dorothy Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fred David Gray (about 700 feet away); White Hall (about 800 feet away); Historic Quadrangle (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuskegee Institute.
Also see . . .
1. Tuskegee University website - History of the Chapel. (Submitted on December 3, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Bhamwiki (Birmingham Wiki) article on the newer chapel. (Submitted on December 3, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • African Americans • Agriculture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.