New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The State University of New Jersey
Queen’s College (now Rutgers University) opened for instruction in 1771 in a tavern known as “the Sign of the Red Lion” on the corner of Neilson and Albany Streets. Removed from New Brunswick to North Branch and Millstone during the American Revolution, the College returned in 1781 and ten years later took up residence in College hall located on the south side of George Street, near the present Monument Square. In 1807 the trustees acquired land from the heirs of James Parker, distinguished citizen of Perth Amboy and member of the Provincial Congress in New Jersey. This five-acre site, increased by the purchase of an additional acre, formed the Queen’s College campus, and continued to grow with the construction of Old Queen’s (1809), Van Nest Hall (1847), the President’s House (1841-1954), Schanck Observatory (1866), Geology Hall (1872), Kirkpatrick Chapel (1873), and Winants Hall (1890). In 1825, the trustees changed the name of the institution to Rutgers, honoring the distinguished Revolutionary War officer, former trustee, devoted member of the Reformed Church, and benefactor, Colonel Henry Rutgers.
New Jersey Register of Historic Places
January 29, 1973
July 2, 1973
Location. 40° 29.873′ N, 74° 26.803′ W. Marker is in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Somerset Street and College Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Somerset Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Brunswick NJ 08901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexander Johnston Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Van Nest Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Rutgers 9/11 Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Winants Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Queen’s College (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Men of Rutgers College (about 300 feet away); Theological Education in Old Queens (about 300 feet away); Class of 1924 Memorial (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Brunswick.
More about this marker. An identical marker is located at the car entrance at Somerset and George Streets.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 731 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 20, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. 4, 5. submitted on January 20, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 6. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.