Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Guanajuato in Municipality of Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Legislative Palace

 
 
Legislative Palace Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 3, 2016
1. Legislative Palace Marker
Inscription.
Palacio Legislativo
Ubicado en la bellísima cuesta del Marqués hoy Plaza de la Paz, este inmueble fue propiedad de los marqueses de San Clemente y luego de los condes de la Valenciana. A finales del siglo XIX fue comprado por el gobierno en enero de 1897, se demolió para construir el Palacio Legislativo bajo la dirección del Arq. Luís Long, siendo inaugurado con ese fin en octubre de 1900. En el primer cuerpo tiene almohadillones de piedra con una decoración sobre la puerta. En el segundo cuerpo hay medio pilares adosados a las paredes, dispuestos simétricamente con cinco ventanas entre sí, engalanados con áticos y helénicas cabezas como clave. La cornisa esta coronada por una balaustrada que en su parte media tiene un espacio para la Enseña Nacional. Los andadores y pavimentos de patios son de mosaicos romanos al igual que el muro frontal del primer descanso de la escalera principal donde se encuentra el escudo de la ciudad y a los lados el de la Nación. El piso superior alberga la sala de sesiones de la Cámara de Diputados, el piso de ésta es de madera fina y las paredes están estucadas y empapeladas con vivos en color dorado.

English:
Legislative Palace
Located on the beautiful "Slope of the Marquis", today known as the Peace Square, this building was owned by the Marquises
Legislative Palace Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 3, 2016
2. Legislative Palace Marker
of San Clemente and afterwards by the Counts of the Valenciana. At the end of the XIXth Century it was bought by the State’s Administration and it was demolished in January 1897 to give way for the construction of the Legislative Palace under the direction of Architect Luís Long and inaugurated for this purpose on October 30th, 1900. In the first body there are green stone bolsters with a decoration on top of the door. In the second body there are some symmetrically placed half-pillars built onto the wall with five windows between them, decorated with attics and Hellenic heads as keystones. A balustrade crowns the cornice and in its intermediate part has a space for the National Education. The sidewalks and paving of the patios are carried out in Roman mosaics, as well as the front piece of the first interval the main stairs. Here you can find of the Coat-of-Arms of the city and on the sides the National Seal. The upper floor contains the session hall of the Deputies. The floor this hall is made of precious wood and the walls show vivid golden stuccowork and wallpaper.
 
Location. 21° 1.028′ N, 101° 15.282′ W. Marker is in Guanajuato, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Guanajuato. Marker is on Avenida Benito Juárez, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is just north of the Plaza de Paz (Peace Plaza).
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Legislative Palace (a few steps from this marker); House of Count Rul (within shouting distance of this marker); Agustín Lanuza (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); House of Royal Assayer Sebastián Camacho (about 90 meters away); The Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato (about 150 meters away); The Royal Bank of Guanajuato (about 150 meters away); The Royal Houses of Guanajuato (about 150 meters away); Benito Juárez in Guanajuato (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guanajuato.
 
Regarding Legislative Palace. Although the Spanish version of the marker is missing some of its text, it was replaced through comparison with the English version of the text on the marker.
 
Categories. ArchitectureMan-Made FeaturesPolitics
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement