Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Guanajuato in Municipality of Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Temple of San Diego

Templo de San Diego

 

—Un Museo llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato —

 
Temple of San Diego Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 3, 2016
1. Temple of San Diego Marker
Inscription.
Aunque hoy en día sólo vemos el Templo de San Diego en medio de grandes ejemplos de arquitectura histórica en la ciudad, este recinto tuvo una interesante historia que data desde los orígenes de la villa, y una construcción que triplicaba las dimensiones que apreciamos ahora.

En 1663 entraron a la ciudad los fundadores de este templo, los franciscanos descalzos, conocidos con el nombre religioso de San Diego o de San Pedro de Alcántara. Fue el primer monasterio en este lugar. Sufrió varios percances como las negativas del rey para su construcción o posteriores amenazas para su vida monocal, pero lo que modfició definitivamente su construcción fueron dos sucesos: Las inundaciones y los cambios del siglo XIX.

El Templo de San Diego, tuvo ser reconstruido a consecuencia de las inundaciones que sufrió la capital en el siglo XVIII. En 1784 tuvieron que elevarse 6 metros sus muros, dejando enterrada la planta original. Después fue expropiado el convento con la aplicación de las leyes de Reforma, con lo que pasó a ser el Hotel Emporio, que tras ser demolido, comenzó la construcción del Teatro Juárez que actualmente admiramos. Lo único que conserva actualmente el Templo son tres de las cinco capillas que lo constituían. Aún así, hay mucho que ver, incluyendo el museo subterráneo donde se puede conocer parte del antiguo convent.
An additional, older Temple of San Diego Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 3, 2016
2. An additional, older Temple of San Diego Marker
Templo de San Diego de Alcala
El templo actual forma parte de un conjunto conventual erigidos por los Franciscanos Descalzos, o Dieguinos, a fines del siglo XVII. Después de terrible inundación de 1780 se elevaron los niveles del centro de la ciudad, particularmente en la zona del Convento. De esta manera, todo el conjunto de 1694 es sepultado bajo rellenos y construido el actual edificio en 1784 El convento fue posteriormente demolido en el siglo XIX y en su sitio se yergue el Teatro Juárez, no obstante, bajo el nivel de la calle pueden observarse las ruinas del convento original de 1694. El templo principal logro salvarse de la demolición, llegando a nuestros días orgulloso de poseer la más bella portada rococó o barroco tardío del centro del país, en el interior se destaca una importante colección de pinturas virreinales y deciminómica

Obra restaurada por Guanajuato Patrimonio de la Humanidad, A.C. con sustento del fideicomiso 354556 creado para la conservación del patrimonio cultural de la ciudad, por el Gobierno del Estado de Guanajuato e Imagen Urbana del Municipio.

English translation:
Templo of San Diego of Alcala
The present temple forms part of a convent set up by the “Barefoot Franciscans”, or “Dieguinos”, at the end of the 17th century. After the terrible flood of 1780 the level of the center of the city was elevated, particularly in the zone of the Convent. In this way, the whole building complex of 1694 is then buried under rubble and the current building then constructed in 1784. The convent was later demolished in the 19th century and in its place now stands the Juarez Theater, however, under the street level can still be observed some ruins of the original convent of 1694. The main temple chapel was saved from demolition, still possessing the most beautiful rococo or late baroque style facade to be found in the center of Mexico. In its interior is an important collection of paintings from both the Viceregal and 19th century periods.

This work restored by Guanajuato: Patrimony of Humanity, through Trust #354556 which was created for the conservation of the cultural heritage of the city, through the Government of the State of Guanajuato and Urban Image of the Municipality.


English:
Although today the church of San Diego suffers by comparison with some of the more imposing examples of architecture in Guanajuato, the building has a fascinating history of its own that dates back to the very beginnings of the Spanish settlement and was originally some three times bigger than the remains we have today.

It was in 1663 that the church’s founders first came to the city. These were the "Barefoot Franciscans”, those members of the order dedicated to San Diego or Saint Peter of Alcántara. It was the first monastery to be built here and suffered some setbacks, initially with the king’s refusal to authorize its construction and the later when its monastic way of life came under threat. However, two separate events definitively affected its construction: the floods and the political changes wrought during the nineteenth century.

The church of San Diego had to be rebuilt as a consequence of the floods that afflicted the capital during the eighteenth century. In 1784, the walls were raised 6 whole meters, burying the original ground floor. Following this, the monastery was expropriated as a result of the Laws of Reform and converted into the Hotel Emporio, which was subsequently demolished to make way for the Juarez Theater we know and admire today. All that remains of the old church is three of the five chapels it once
Temple of San Diego Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 3, 2016
3. Temple of San Diego Marker
The markers can be seen here to the left of the entrance to the temple.
contained. Even so, there is much to see, including the underground museum where we can learn something of the old monastery.

Para más información visita (For more information see:)
www.ciudadmuseo-gto.com (Marker Number 14 of 19.)
 
Location. 21° 0.938′ N, 101° 15.183′ W. Marker is in Guanajuato, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Guanajuato. Marker is on Calle Sopena, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Calle Sopena, Guanajuato 36000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Luis González Obregón (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucio Marmolejo (within shouting distance of this marker); Minting House of the State of Guanajuato (within shouting distance of this marker); Benito Juárez in Guanajuato (within shouting distance of this marker); Admiral Federico Rómero Ceballos (within shouting distance of this marker); The Royal Houses of Guanajuato (within shouting distance of this marker); The Royal Prison of Guanajuato (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Royal Bank of Guanajuato (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guanajuato.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.DisastersMan-Made Features
 
The nearby Teatro Juárez (Juárez Theatre) mentioned in the marker text. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 3, 2016
4. The nearby Teatro Juárez (Juárez Theatre) mentioned in the marker text.
The theatre is to the left of the marker, as the area where it was built was previously a part of the temple.
An interior view of the Temple of San Diego image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, April 2, 2017
5. An interior view of the Temple of San Diego
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   5. submitted on June 8, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement