Near Helen in White County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Nacoochee Indian Mound
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 154-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 41.066′ N, 83° 42.521′ W. Marker is near Helen, Georgia, in White County. Marker is on Unicoi Turnpike (State Road 17) 0.1 miles east of Helen Highway (State Route 75), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Helen GA 30545, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Unicoi Turnpike ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Nacoochee Valley ( approx. Early Trading Post ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Discovery of Gold ( approx. one mile away); Bishop Marvin A. Franklin ( approx. 1.2 miles away); White Methodist Church ( approx. 1.2 miles away); Stovall Mill Covered Bridge ( approx. 3.5 miles away); Cleveland ( approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helen.
Regarding Nacoochee Indian Mound. The gazebo on the mound was built in 1890, by Capt. J. H. Nichols, who bought land in the Nachoochee Valley following the Civil War. Capt. Nichols built the Italianate house on the opposite site of Ga. 17 from the mound.
Also see . . . Nacoochee Mound. (Submitted on August 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,198 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on August 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.