Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Volcano in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Volcano

 
 
Volcano Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 23, 2006
1. Volcano Marker
This large plaque was originally placed in the town of Pine Grove 4 miles south. The smaller marker explains the reason.
Inscription. [Larger Marker]:
Started 1848 by soldiers of Colonel Stevensonís Regiment. Named by miners because of apparent volcanic appearance. Here the first California rental library, 1850, was established. And one of the first “Little Theaters” founded by the “Volcano Thespian Society”, 1854.
Interesting Civil War History.

[Smaller Marker]:
Volcano - Right Here!
1934 plaque placed in Pine Grove as "obituary" when planned dam would flood Volcano. Geology & water rights negated plan. So Volcano didn't drown
Not By A Dam Site!


 
Erected 1980 by #1-Department of Public Works – Division of Highways. #2 Volcano Business & Prof. Assoc., James W, Marshall Chapter E Clampus Vitus, Upcountry 88 Lions. (Marker Number 29.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 26.556′ N, 120° 37.882′ W. Marker is in Volcano, California, in Amador County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Consolation Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Volcano CA 95689, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Smaller marker under the main marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 23, 2006
2. Smaller marker under the main marker
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Soldier Gulch (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Volcano (here, next to this marker); Astronomical Observatory (a few steps from this marker); The Thomas Starr King Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlo Andrea Dondero (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Moose Milk (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Volcano.
 
Regarding Volcano.
California Historical Landmark description: The spot was discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson's men, who mined Soldiers Gulch in 1849. By 1853 the flats and gulches swarmed with men who named them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in 1855, brought thousands of fortune seekers to form a town of 17 hotels, a library, a theater, and courts of quick justice. During the Civil War, Volcano's gold served the Union - Volcano Blues smuggled the cannon 'Old Abe' in by hearse to quell rebels.
 
Also see . . .
1. Ghost Towns - Volcano. (Submitted on September 7, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. The Virtual California Gold Country - Volcano. (Submitted on September 12, 2008.)
3. Wikipedia Account - Volcano
Volcano Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 23, 2006
3. Volcano Marker
. This has interesting facts regarding the cannon "Old Abe" (Submitted on September 7, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Steam Fire Truck
In the late 1870s King Pomare, the King of Tahiti
commissioned a Fire Truck to be built in San Francisco - Tahiti's first Fire Truck.
At that time there was shipping trade between Tahiti and San Francisco.
Before the Fire Truck was finished King Pomare died.
The new French Government did not have the funds to pay for the Fire Truck to be shipped to Tahiti.
Somehow it ended up in Volcano, Calif.

Have heard at one time there were scenes of Tahiti painted on the Fire Truck.
Joy Mau, Tahiti
    — Submitted September 22, 2009.

 
Categories. LandmarksNatural ResourcesNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Volcano Markers image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle
4. Volcano Markers
Also here are the Volcano Marker from Amador County Historical Society and the Soldier Gulch marker.
Town Building - Adams Express Company image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 23, 2006
5. Town Building - Adams Express Company
Built in 1854, first served as the Johnson and Ross Volcano News Depot, and then became the Adams Express building in 1856. After that it was the D.S. Boydston Drug Store. From 1871 to 1905, Sing Kee and his wife sold herbs, opium, and general merchandise there.
Ruins of the old Wells Fargo building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 23, 2006
6. Ruins of the old Wells Fargo building
Vintage Postcard of Main Street image. Click for full size.
L.E. Lindholm, Published by Commercial Printers, Stockton, Ca.
7. Vintage Postcard of Main Street
The postcard includes this description:
Scene of unsuccessful coup by Southern sympathizers to take Volcano for the Confederacy, 1863. Buildings shown include Assay Office, built 1870; Jug & Rose temperance house; General Store (continuous operation since 1850); old Cigar Emporium (now art gallery); St. George Hotel, built 1863
St. George Hotel image. Click for more information.
By Syd Whittle, January 23, 2006
8. St. George Hotel
Located South of Marker

Click for more information.
"Old Abe" image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 23, 2006
9. "Old Abe"
Sign on building that houses "Old Abe" reads:
Union Square: Named to commemorate an event during Civil War days when the Unionist "Volcano Blues" confronted the Confederate "Knights of the Golden Circle" on this spot. With the help of the cannon, "Old Abe" the "Blues" effected a decisive victory over the "Knights."
P.S. The story goes that the enthusiastic "Blues" had overcharged the weapon. It would have exploded had it actually been fired.
Hydraulic Mining Monitor (Nozzle), circa 1854 image. Click for full size.
June 28, 2008
10. Hydraulic Mining Monitor (Nozzle), circa 1854
This (assuming the date is correct on the accompanying plaque) is a very early example of a hydraulic mining monitor, used in the Elephant hydraulic mine, about one mile north of Volcano. The monitor was used to direct a stream of water under very high pressure to literally dissolve the earth to wash out gold bearing ores. The monitor now stands about 100 feet to the north of the Volcano historical marker.
Volcano - Old Jail , circa 1871 image. Click for full size.
June 28, 2008
11. Volcano - Old Jail , circa 1871
Constructed of iron boilerplate between wood inner and outer walls. Local legend has it that the first two inmates were the men who built it. The jail is located approximately 200 feet north of the Volcano historical marker.
Volcano - Masonic Lodge, circa 1854 image. Click for full size.
June 28, 2008
12. Volcano - Masonic Lodge, circa 1854
Originally was the office of the Volcano Weekly Ledger. In 1860 the building became jointly owned by the Oddfellows and the Masons. The building is located some 200 feet north of the Volcano historical marker (opposite the old jail) and is still used as a Masonic Lodge.
I.O.O.F and Masonic Lodge image. Click for more information.
By Roger Sturtevant, Photographer, April 6, 1934
13. I.O.O.F and Masonic Lodge
View From South-West
Historic American Buildings Survey - Library of Congress
Click for more information.
Starr King Bell, ca. 1863 image. Click for full size.
June 28, 2008
14. Starr King Bell, ca. 1863
According to the accompanying plaque, "The bell was donated to Volcano by Unitarian preacher Thomas Starr King, who was grateful to the town for its support of the Union and the election of Abraham Lincoln. The bell was originally located at the Methodist Cemetery. The bell is Vickers cast steel and was manufactured in Sheffield, England". The bell is located roughly 400 feet east of the Volcano historical marker.
Volcano - Assay Office image. Click for full size.
January 31, 2009
15. Volcano - Assay Office
Constructed in 1871. The former assay office now houses a gift shop. Located on Main Street less than 100 feet from the Volcano marker.
1950's picture of Assay office in Volcano, CA image. Click for full size.
circa 195?
16. 1950's picture of Assay office in Volcano, CA
Taken by my Grandparents...
Volcano - Post Office and Telephone Exchange image. Click for full size.
January 31, 2009
17. Volcano - Post Office and Telephone Exchange
Constructed in the 1930's of terra cotta tile and in operation until the 1960's, when it became a private residence. The sharp-eyed observer will note a Superman poster within the phone booth, reading "Please do not vandalize this phone booth. I have no place else to change clothes. - Superman" Building is located on Main Street, just to the north of the Whiskey Flat Saloon.
Volcano Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
January 31, 2009
18. Volcano Schoolhouse
In use for over a century, from 1855-1956. Now a private residence. Located at the corner of Plug Street and National Street, about a five minute walk from the Volcano Marker. The bell tower was not part of the original structure, but was added later.
St. Bernard's Catholic Church (at the intersection of Plug Street and Emigrant Road) image. Click for full size.
January 31, 2009
19. St. Bernard's Catholic Church (at the intersection of Plug Street and Emigrant Road)
Built in 1908 to replace St. Bridget's Church, which was located at the Volcano Catholic Cemetery. St. Bridget's was destroyed by fire in 1868.
Volcano - Bavarian Brewery image. Click for full size.
January 31, 2009
20. Volcano - Bavarian Brewery
Constructed in 1856. Last of the 3 breweries in Volcano. Operated by the Jacob Stolken family and later by Peter Seible. Now a private residence. Located on Consolation Street, less than 200 feet from the Volcano marker.
Volcano Road Directional Sign image. Click for more information.
By Brian Smith
21. Volcano Road Directional Sign
This sign is part of the personal road sign collection of Brian Smith. He also contributed the following information:
Erected by the California Division of Highways in 1951 and is the second generation sign. The state took over signing state highways from the auto clubs in 1948 and introduced a new sign which is in the shape and format of the bronze tablet used by the state at historical sites.
Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 4,426 times since then and 205 times this year. Last updated on December 20, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4. submitted on September 11, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 7, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   10, 11, 12. submitted on September 10, 2008.   13. submitted on April 4, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   14. submitted on October 28, 2008.   15. submitted on February 2, 2009.   16. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Steve Rickman of Sunnyvale, Us.   17, 18, 19, 20. submitted on February 2, 2009.   21. submitted on June 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement