Oxon Hill in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Two Centuries of Farm Buildings
Mount Welby Era: 1800-1840s
The three oldest buildings at Oxon Cove Park date from the early 1800s. Dr. Samuel DeButts, Mary Welby DeButts, and their childen lived on the farm and called their home Mount Welby, in honor of Mary's family.
St. Elizabeths Era: 1890s-1960s
Five buildings survive from the days when St. Elizabeths Hospital owned and ran the farm. They are the hexagonal outbuilding, horse and pony barn, hay barn, feed building, and dairy barn and silo.
National Park Service Buildings
The rest of the buildings, in the main part of the park were constructed after the National Park Service began operating a children's farm here in 1967. They are the grain exhibit building, chicken coop, farm museum, rabbit shed, windmill, tool shed, sorghum syrup shed, and Visitor Barn. At the Visitor
Location. 38° 48.118′ N, 77° 0.434′ W. Marker is in Oxon Hill, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Oxon Hill Bike Trail. Touch for map. In Oxon Hill Farm Park. Marker is in this post office area: Oxon Hill MD 20745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Why a Brick Stable? (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweet Sorghum (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheat and Tobacco (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Root Cellar (about 300 feet away); The Burning of Washington, D.C. (about 400 feet away); The DeButts Family Comes to Maryland - Mount Welby (about 500 feet away); A Farm for St. Elizabeths, 1891-1950 (about 600 feet away); War Comes to Mount Welby (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxon Hill.
Categories. • Agriculture • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 24, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.