Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
York in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

York County's 250th Anniversary

 
 
York County's 250th Anniversary Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 26, 2016
1. York County's 250th Anniversary Marker
Inscription.

Founded in 1749, York County was the fifth county in Pennsylvania and the first to be formed west of the Susquehanna River. Convinced that the area had gained sufficient population, wealth, and the need for a local government, the provincial governor and general assembly separated York from Lancaster County on August 19, 1749.

In 1999, the county honored the 250th Anniversary of this occasion with a year-long celebration. Highlighted by a grand parade held in August, events throughout the year honored the rich history of York County's past and heralded the promise of the county's future.

Artist: Wayne A. Fettro
Design: Beverly Kennedy
Sponsored by York County Commissioners
 
Erected 2000 by York Murals, York County Commissioners, and Wilton Armetale.
 
Location. 39° 57.703′ N, 76° 43.837′ W. Marker is in York, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is on Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 74/462), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 127 West Market Street, York PA 17401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Four Chaplains (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Wayne Headquarters

York County's 250th Anniversary Mural image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 26, 2016
2. York County's 250th Anniversary Mural
Marker is on wall below mural, not in photo
(within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Horatio Gates (within shouting distance of this marker); General Marquis de Lafayette 1757 - 1834 (within shouting distance of this marker); Hall & Sellers Press (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Golden Plough Tavern (about 300 feet away); Major John Clark (about 300 feet away); York (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in York.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of York County, Pennsylvania (Gibson, 1886). (Submitted on December 31, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of York County, Pennsylvania (Prowell, 1907). (Submitted on December 31, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. York County History Center. (Submitted on December 31, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraPoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement