Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lima in Allen County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Shawnee Council House

 
 
Shawnee Council House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Baker
1. Shawnee Council House Marker
This is NOT the missing marker, but is one that shows the same Allen County design as the missing marker.
Inscription. In 1831, the Shawnee Indians built a 20 x 30 ft. hewed-log council house within their Hog Creek Settlement. It was located about 270 ft. east of this marker. After the Indians’ forced exodus west, it served as a temporary dwelling for the Griffith Breese and Ezekiel Hover families. This Indian settlement lay within the reservation established in 1817.
 
Erected 1976 by Allen County Bicentennial Commission.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 41.703′ N, 84° 9.076′ W. Marker was in Lima, Ohio, in Allen County. Marker could be reached from Shawnee Road. Touch for map. Marker was located on the east side of Shawnee Road near another older marker installed by the Auto Club decades before, which still stands. Marker was in this post office area: Lima OH 45806, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Shawnee Council House (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memory of Chief P-H-T and the Hawg Creek Shawnee (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johnny Appleseed Tree (approx. ¾ mile away); Veterans Freedom Flag Monument (approx. 1½ miles away); Mary Shafer (approx. 1.9 miles away); Solar Refinery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Town Pond Reservoir Cridersville's Great Fire of 1918 (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Shawnee Indian Reservation (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lima.
 
More about this marker. (This following information was provided by the archivist at the Allen County Historical Society Museum, Ms. Selfridge) "This marker is now missing, its post having been destroyed in auto accident. After that time, the marker was in the possession of Dale Hover, but he has since retired to a nursing home, and its location is unknown. The marker had been placed on the east side of Shawnee Rd. between Ft. Amanda & Zurmehly Rds., and was a free-standing, metal marker."
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 221 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on January 5, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement